Visa and Tax Information

FLET's come to Bard under J-1 visas. The IIE takes care of visas for the tutors sponsored as Fulbright Language Assistants. For the non-IIE tutors, Tamara Stafford in the International Student & Scholar Services Office is Bard’s in-house immigration point person: she communicates directly with the tutors to prepare their Bard-sponsored J-1 applications.

Visa Information

Visa Holders in J-1 status are responsible for learning, understanding, and complying with U.S. federal laws and regulations governing the J visa. Failure to do so will violate your legal status in the United States and will have serious consequences. 

Tax Information

All tutors who come to the United States for less than 2 years on a J1 visa are exempt from having the following withheld from their pay:
  • Social Security
  • Medicare
If any of the tutors visited the US before coming to Bard, these exemptions might be effected.
  • Expand to see if your country is one of these exceptions. Expand for more.
  • Tax Requirements upon Arrival at Bard Expand for more.
  • Tax Requirements upon Returning to Your Home Country Expand for more.